Seasonal Info- FALL PEST TIPS
Fall in Ohio can be a breathtaking spectacle with its crisp weather and colorful leaves, making it a favorite season of many residents. While to us fall is the perfect time for bonfires, apple cider, and enjoying the last days of good weather outdoors – to many pests such as mice, rats, spiders, and other creepy crawly critters, the changing season is a signal to find refuge from the cold winter months ahead.
During the warmer months pests like to hide in weeds, tall grass, and other vegetation or debris. Once the winter weather hits, their hiding places disappear leaving them looking for a new home. Pest proofing your home and business for the fall plays an important role in keeping these unwanted guests out.
Once they are inside your home, it can be a struggle to get them out. Pests can be brought inside on plants, food, and firewood. Pests are a threat to your health and property. Rodents like mice and rats carry all kinds of nasty diseases like Salmonella and Hantavirus. Not to mention, some considerable damage can be done to your home by their gnawing, burrowing, and nesting.
Grace Exterminating, along with the National Pest Management Association, recommend using some of the following tips to keep your home pest free this fall and winter:
- Keep your grass cut throughout the summer and fall (or at least trimmed on a regular basis)
- After weeding your garden or flower beds dispose of the weeds, don’t let them stack up in a pile
- Keep tree limbs cut and away from your house (rodents love to use them as bridges to access your home)
- Check out the condition of your roof (any holes that need patched? Or chimney vents that need covered?)
- Keep firewood stored at least 20 feet away from the house
- Keep shrubbery well-trimmed and maintained, especially any that might be near or against your house
- Repair damaged window and door screens
- Install door sweeps on exterior doors
- Cover outside vents and openings to chimneys with screens
- Seal cracks and crevices around the outside of the home (be sure to include spots where outside pipes and utilities enter)
- Store food in airtight containers and dispose of garbage regularly in sealed receptacles
- Check out your basement area and replace any old, loose weather stripping and mortar (mostly around the foundation and windows)
- Fix all leaky pipes, clogged drains, or any other source of excess moisture
Any signs of a pest problem, call a qualified pest control professional like Grace Exterminating! We’ll leave your home the way it should be, Pest FREE!